Friday, September 2, 2011

D-Day is nigh

It's almost here. After months of training and mixed feelings of dread and trepidation and euphoria and exhilaration and everything else in between, I am about to embark on a journey through the unknown world of a Triathlon. Something I've never done before.... heck, I've never even done a regular race before. Never ran a 5K, 10K or anything, never experienced the pandemonium of hundreds of contestants fighting and flaying for the chance to come in first. I've heard stories and seen pictures of family members who have competed many times in such races. And I've seen the elated look on their faces when they finally pass over that finish line and come out with victory on their faces.

I want that.

A few months ago I started to notice signs along my biking route. There was a sign posted over by Subway on 9th E. There was a sign over by the mouth of the canyon which I would pass by everyday on my daily journey's up the canyon to Nunn's Park or Bridal Veil Falls (and more recently, Vivian Park). And then around the Provo/Orem area would I see still more of these banners.
After each glance in their direction, I would get this feeling more and more that I should do it. I don't really get those feelings a lot, so this was a big deal and I felt that I shouldn't take it lightly. I didn't sign up for the Tri on a whim. I want you all to know that. I thought about it for about a week before hand, telling myself, talking it over, and mulling over the notion of competing in a Triathlon, making a mental point system in my head about why I should compete in the Triathlon:

  1. I can already do the biking like a pro. I only have to bike 12 miles for the race and I already bike more than double that everyday. I own this.
  2. Even though I haven't been running in a couple months, I have been for the past semester at school. And I've been good/awesome at it. I own this too.
  3. Swimming is a little iffy. I haven't swam in years due to my lack of self-esteem and my body issues. But I can swim. I just have to teach my body and mind that I can. Learn it all over if I have to. And to make sure to give myself self-affirmations. And you know what? I can own this one too.
After that little pep talk and the lingering shock of how pumped up I was about myself, I logged in online. I found the website, looked it over, had moments of hesitation and doubt, used more self-affirming and encouraging words on myself that "I can do this", and finally, with a butterfly in my stomach and a hug around my heart, I clicked confirm and received my confirmation number that I had successfully signed up for the Aqua Triathlon.



Now here I am, at 5:30 in the morning on Friday the 2nd of September (the day before the race), experiencing once again those feelings of nervousness and excitement. I shouldn't be nervous, I'm prepared and as prepared as I'm gonna be, I've been getting a lot of helpful advice and tips from my amazing sister, Kristin, who just a few months ago succeeded at a Triathlon of her own. So with her advice and love under my arm, the various support and encouragement from my friends and family, and most importantly of all, the love and determination in myself that I can and will do this. The development of some self-esteem and respect for myself has come after years and years of hatred and disrespect in myself. So even if I don't win any big rewards or trophy's at the race, or don't perform the entire race in a record-breaking short amount of time...

...I will still rise up at the end with victory.

At the beginning I said that the D-day is nigh. And I still stand by that. But what I mean by D-Day, I mean it's D's Day. It's my day. And I'm going to take it.

1 comment: