Wednesday, June 23, 2010

English final: Done! Followed by a celebratory sleepover

Well, my first final experience at a bona fide University has now passed, allowing me to finally breath and to play Fishdom to all hours of the wee night without any feelings of guilt that I should be doing homework or other useful, productive activities. Before when I played Fishdom until 2 in the AM there were sporadic thoughts of "I should be working on my research paper" but then those thoughts were quickly put out of my mind as I passed yet another level (Current level: 521 baby!). Anyway, fishdom is a whole separate blog in itself. Right now, let me regale you with my adventure at this particular "sleepover". Don't be fooled by the word, sleepover. This was definitely not your average sleepover. I haven't been to many sleepovers that started out with a urine sample. Haha, let me back up a bit. So I volunteered to participate in a sleep study. I've had insomnia and such for as long as I can remember and my Doctor, who is aware of this, sent me an info pamphlet about this sleep study. It sounded like fun so I signed up. Boy was I ever in for a surprise. Last night was my first "sleepover" for the study. I knew there would be some wires or whatnot that I would be connected to but didn't realize that there would be a grand total of 24 wires. First off, they had to "prep" my skin by scrubbing it vigorously with alcohol, at which point I got a major high just off the fumes. After that, they pretty much sandpapered down the areas of my skin. All that was followed by an hour of being glued down with various wires over my face, neck, ears, legs, and head. Along with 2 straps over my chest and stomach and the omnipresent heart rate monitor finger cuff. The most common thoughts going through my mind during all this was "Now I know how lab rats feel like." Closely followed by "Well I guess going to the bathroom is out of the question." After the poking and prodding and violations of my body and personal space I was allowed to lay down and "sleep". On the plus side it was a very comfy bed. A full if not a queen size complete with a fluffy duvet. Not the best nights sleep I've ever had, but also not the worst. Waking up multiple times during the night with a nurse checking the wires and reattaching the ones that came loose. And then waking up completely in the morning as the nurse was pulling all the wires off me and saying in a chipper voice "Good Morning", with no thought or qualm as to the ripping and hair pulling that the detachments were causing. Well, good morning to you too! Quite an interesting adventure that I get to do all over again next week. No rest for the lab rats of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment